Ask Soldier Steve: How do I change incorrect information in a crash report?

ORLANDO, Florida. – News 6 traffic safety expert Steve Montero answers viewers’ questions about the rules of the road weekly, helping Central Florida residents become better drivers through better education.

Soldier Steve was asked on Tuesday, “How do I change incorrect information in a crash report?”

[SUBMIT: Ask your traffic-related question]

Patience will be the key.

Initially, the person involved in the accident will receive a “driver information exchange”.

“There is enough information on this exchange for a driver involved in an accident to be able to begin the application process,” soldier Steve said. “While this is not a final report, the driver should review it carefully and identify any errors as soon as possible.”

Informing the investigator about a minor error in the exchange can prevent problems in the future.

“If you find a bug after you get a copy of the final report a few days later, fixing the bug depends on what you found,” he said. “Crash reports consist of factual information such as information about your driver and vehicle. If it is determined that the specified information is entered incorrectly, it can be changed by contacting the Investigation Department. It’s not an instant decision, but it can be made quickly once it’s brought to their attention.”

It is important to keep in mind that if you disagree with how the investigative portion of the report was completed, it will be between you, your lawyer, and your insurance company.

“Without any evidence other than the original accident, it is unlikely that the investigator will change the outcome of the accident just because you disagree with it,” he said. “Furthermore, if you were not at the crash site or involved in the situation, your application would not have been necessary or requested.”

Copyright 2023 WKMG ClickOrlando – All rights reserved.

Content Source

Related Articles