BREWARD COUNTY, Florida. – After months of hauling sand near Sebastian Inlet, Brevard County is expected to approve $69 million on Tuesday to restore beaches between Pineda Causeway and Melbourne Beach.
Commissioner John Tobia said the new project is part of a 50-year agreement between the county and the Army Corps of Engineers.
“Couldn’t find a good reason to vote no, even if I wanted to,” Tobia told News 6 on Monday. “It’s all federal dollars. This agreement was signed 25 years ago and has worked very well for the county.”
Hurricanes Yen and Nicole blew off the dunes along the coast last year. Back in January, crews began hauling sand for the Florida Beach area.
In Coconut Point Park, which was restored as part of this project, Alexandra Flammini noted that a few months are changing the situation.
[EXCLUSIVE: Become a News 6 Insider (it’s FREE) | PINIT! Share your photos]
“After the hurricane, it was very high. The dunes have practically disappeared,” she said. “Since then, the dunes have gotten taller, so there are fewer waves. It’s very good now.”
Tobia spoke about the importance of maintaining beaches. The county’s tourism office said the beach is the main reason people come here.
“Brevard County’s big driver is the beaches, and the people who live on the beach, and our residents who love the beach,” Tobia said. “Therefore, it is extremely important, not only from an environmental point of view, but also from the point of view of tourism and accommodation.”
The county said all landscaping work is suspended until the end of the sea turtle nesting season at the end of October.
Get today’s headlines in minutes with Your Florida Daily:
Copyright 2023 WKMG ClickOrlando – All rights reserved.