Suspect in 4 murders in Georgia killed in confrontation with police

Authorities said a man wanted for the fatal murder of four people in Hampton, Georgia, died in a standoff with law enforcement that left at least two officers injured.

Andre Longmore, 40, “got down to business” after returning fire on law enforcement officers on Sunday, Henry County Sheriff Reginald B. Scandrett said at a news conference.

“We started the chase, attacked the suspect again, he pulled out his gun again, there was a shootout and the suspect was neutralized,” Scandrett said.

During the clash, two officers were injured. The deputy was shot in the back and is expected to survive. Another one suffered more serious injuries, which were not reported, according to police.

“The monster is dead,” said Scandrett. “The citizens of Hampton, Henry County, the Atlanta metro area, and the entire state of Georgia can breathe a little easier today. The suspect left the street.”

Hampton Police Chief James Turner identified four victims of Saturday’s shooting: Scott Levitt, 67, Shirley Levitt, 66, Steve Blizzard, 65, and Ronald Jeffers, 66. The victims lived in the Dogwood Lakes area of ​​the Hamptons, police said.

On Saturday, authorities launched a manhunt for Longmore, offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to his arrest and prosecution. According to police, the 40-year-old man was considered “armed and dangerous.”

“Wherever you are, we will track you down to any hole you may be living in and get you into custody,” Scandrett said.

The chronology of events is unclear, but the situation unfolded around 10:45 a.m. Saturday in the Dogwood Lakes area of ​​Hampton, Georgia, according to social media posts from the Henry County government. Hampton is a city of about 8,000 people located in Henry County, about 36 miles from Atlanta.

The motive is unknown, but Hampton Police Chief James Turner said the four murders took place at different locations and that the suspect is a resident of the city of Hampton.

The Hampton Police Department is investigating with the help of the Henry County Police Department and the Sheriff’s Office, as well as Henry County Homeland Security and the Henry County Crime Squad. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation was also notified.

“We are gathered here today for a sad and dark occasion,” Mayor Anne Tarpley said during a press conference. “There has been a tragedy in the city of Hampton, but we have vowed and are convinced that every person responsible for this tragedy in our community will be held accountable.”

Content Source

Related Articles