FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida. – Florida rapper YNW Melly will return to the Broward County courtroom on Monday as his trial continues over the murder of two of his fellow YNW Collective rappers over four years ago.
Miramar Police Detective Mark Moretti, the latest witness for the prosecution, testified last week accusing Jamell “Mellie” Demon of killing Christopher “Juvie” Thomas Jr. and Anthony “Succhaser” Williams on October 26, 2018.
The prosecution’s case focused on pre-murder surveillance footage of The Demons, then 19, Thomas, 19, and Williams, 21, leaving a Fort Lauderdale recording studio together in a Compass Jeep driven by Cortlen “Bortlen” Henry.
Later at Memorial Hospital in Miramar, surveillance video shows Henry before he reported that he and his friends were the victims of a drive-by shooting on Miramar Boulevard. Prosecutors said Henry arrived in a Compass Jeep with dead Thomas and Williams.
“We didn’t find any shell casings,” Moretti said in court on Monday about his search for evidence of the Miramar Boulevard shooting. “We didn’t find any glass shards.”
Moretti said cell phone records later pointed to an area near the intersection of US 27 and Pembroke Road, where they did find evidence of the shooting.
“It’s a very deserted place,” Moretti said, adding that the west side of US 27 is a canal.
Demon was indicted by a grand jury on February 7, 2019, and on February 13, 2019, he surrendered to Broward Sheriff’s Office officials. He pleaded not guilty to two counts of first-degree murder.
Copyright 2023 by WPLG Local10.com – All rights reserved.